Well, today's musing is seriously not too amusing at all!
Today I decided to practice what I preach and make sure I took some time out to look after my work/life balance and go for a walk! I've had a sore knee for some mysterious reason for about a week and I decided it's because I tend to sit in front of my computer all day and don't get enough exercise! You know - use it or lose it! I think my muscles are turning to mush because I'm not exercising and the more I don't use them, the mushier they will get until I will be a big spongy ball of mush! So, off I went, envelope in hand to post a letter, hardly expecting to even raise a sweat - just to get the old muscles moving!
I figured that seeing as I haven't done much exercise at all for the last six months, I should start with a few short walks before I get back into anything more serious. As I was only going to the post office round the corner, I just went as I was - wearing my lovely new black leather boots (mistake No1 - not putting on runners...) It had been raining in the morning, but there was a gap in the clouds, so I took off just as I was (mistake No 2 - not taking an umbrella...)
Anyway, there I was enjoying the autumn weather - looking at all the pretty autumn leaves as they fluttered to the ground (mistake No 3 - not watching where I was walking...) and BANG, I slipped!! Down I went, like a sack of potatoes! My right hip took most of the impact! Of course this happened right in the middle of the road, so I had to get myself up and get off the road.
I'm not actually sure what exactly happened, one minute I was walking along and the next I was sitting in the middle of the road. I think that perhaps I stood on one of the lovely (but slippery) autumn leaves on the road, my boot slipped, the dickie knee collapsed from under me and down I went! What a comedy of errors.
It hurt, but there was nothing else for me to do but get up, keep going, post my letter and then turn around and head back to the office. Of course, on the way back it started to rain again, so there I was, getting soaked through and trying to limp on both legs (which is actually very tricky!) I must have looked quite strange lumbering along in the rain.
Do you know the really funny thing though, I'm actually glad I went out for that walk, even though I now have a sore knee, a sore hip and a sore wrist! At least I feel alive, not mushy and the fresh air did my brain a world of good!
I might have tomorrow off from taking a walk depending on how sore my hip is, but I'm not going to stop looking after my work/life balance - and getting some form of fitness is at the top of my list! I'll just make sure I'm dressed appropriately and watch where I'm going next time!
No comments:
Post a Comment